Borland no longer part of Trolltech

2005-05-26 04:57:20 AM
kylix1
I saw an article today that Borland no longer owns any part of Troll
Tech. This was an integral part of Kylix. Is this further evidence
Kylix is abandones?

Re:Borland no longer part of Trolltech

Bill Smith wrote:
I saw an article today that Borland no longer owns any part of Troll
Tech. This was an integral part of Kylix. Is this further evidence
Kylix is abandones?
Perhaps evidence that CLX is abandoned, rather than Kylix as such.

Re:Borland no longer part of Trolltech

They are going to wxWindows...
"Rob McDonell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Bill Smith wrote:
>I saw an article today that Borland no longer owns any part of Troll
>Tech. This was an integral part of Kylix. Is this further evidence
>Kylix is abandones?

Perhaps evidence that CLX is abandoned, rather than Kylix as such.

{smallsort}

Re:Borland no longer part of Trolltech

Max wrote:
They are going to wxWindows...
What is your source?
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Max wrote:

>They are going to wxWindows...

What is your source?
His imagination.
Simon

Re:Borland no longer part of Trolltech

Simon Kissel wrote:

His imagination.

Simon
Unfortunately our imaginations are all we have to go on. It sure would
be nice to hear some official word from Borland about the future
direction of Kylix.

Re:Borland no longer part of Trolltech

delphi2006 will include C++ personality, perhaps a WXCL could start ?
as VCL alternative...

news:4295b87d$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Simon Kissel wrote:

>His imagination.
>
>Simon

Unfortunately our imaginations are all we have to go on. It sure would
be nice to hear some official word from Borland about the future
direction of Kylix.
Ok, here is some guidance:
Borland does not seem to have decided about Kylix' future yet. In this
recent poll they've asked if there would be interest in a new version:
infopoll.net/live/surveys/s27784.htm
Earlier Borland has said they are looking for some way to update Kylix
to make it compatible to recent distros.
CLX isn't included in Delphi 2005 anymore. The windows part of CLX can
be considered dead. It was of no use anyway, nobody wants to deploy
windows applications that depend on QT.
The FreeCLX project is planning to make CLX more compatible to the
Win32 VCL. So a possible future path is to have cross-platform applications
that use VCL on win32, and an updated CLX, probably based on QT3/4 on
Linux.
Indepedent from Borland there also is a lot of stuff going on regarding
Kylix' future. While there still are a lot of things that are unknown, one
thing is for sure now: The future for Kylix-build applications is secured,
no matter if Borland decides to continue the product or not.
Simon

Simon Kissel wrote:
>Simon Kissel wrote:
>>
>>His imagination.
>>
>>Simon
>

>Unfortunately our imaginations are all we have to go on. It sure
>would be nice to hear some official word from Borland about the
>future direction of Kylix.

Ok, here is some guidance:

Borland does not seem to have decided about Kylix' future yet. In this
recent poll they've asked if there would be interest in a new version:
infopoll.net/live/surveys/s27784.htm
Yes, very bright. Asking the Windows crowd about whether they want a
new version of Kylix!
Earlier Borland has said they are looking for some way to update Kylix
to make it compatible to recent distros.
It's been a few months since anything was talk about and even that
smacked of unofficial. It seemed to be more a few individuals within
Borland trying to harness the OSS community.
[...]
Indepedent from Borland there also is a lot of stuff going on
regarding Kylix' future. While there still are a lot of things that
are unknown, one thing is for sure now: The future for Kylix-build
applications is secured, no matter if Borland decides to continue the
product or not.
Oh come on Simon. NOTHING about Kylix is secured.

Simon Kissel wrote:

Borland does not seem to have decided about Kylix' future yet. In this
recent poll they've asked if there would be interest in a new version:
infopoll.net/live/surveys/s27784.htm
I did participate in that survey, and I hope enough people indicated an
interest in Kylix to keep Borland interested.

Earlier Borland has said they are looking for some way to update Kylix
to make it compatible to recent distros.

That would certainly be welcome, but it is not the only change that
needs to be made.
CLX isn't included in Delphi 2005 anymore. The windows part of CLX can
be considered dead. It was of no use anyway, nobody wants to deploy
windows applications that depend on QT.

The FreeCLX project is planning to make CLX more compatible to the
Win32 VCL. So a possible future path is to have cross-platform applications
that use VCL on win32, and an updated CLX, probably based on QT3/4 on
Linux.

This is indeed the crux of the problem. Without that compatibility
between the VCL and whatever Borland chooses to use for the UI in Kylix,
it's going nowhere. I appreciate the efforts of those involved in the
FreeCLX project, and I know you have done a tremendous amount of work
that has helped keep Kylix alive, but for it to matter in the long run
Borland is going to have to step up.
Indepedent from Borland there also is a lot of stuff going on regarding
Kylix' future. While there still are a lot of things that are unknown, one
thing is for sure now: The future for Kylix-build applications is secured,
no matter if Borland decides to continue the product or not.

Simon
I use Kylix in house to make utility programs for use on our Linux
servers, but to use the current Kylix product to produce a commercial
desktop product would be more than a little bit scary.
If Borland wants some additional feedback on Kylix, perhaps they should
take a look at what happened to the price of Borland Stock when Kylix
was announce in Jan 2001, and where it is going now with their present
strategy. I know there are a lot of other factors involved in the price
of Borland stock, but I do believe one of the major reasons for the
higher prices in the recent past was the possibility of one code base
for Windows and Linux. I wish they would renew that original enthusiasm.

Harry Barclay wrote:
I use Kylix in house to make utility programs for use on our Linux
servers, but to use the current Kylix product to produce a commercial
desktop product would be more than a little bit scary.
FWIW, I'm producing a desktop product (although it is for one customer
only, but potentially thousands of units) with the current version of
Kylix, and it is not Kylix that makes it scary; it is Linux that does.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:Borland no longer part of Trolltech

Indepedent from Borland there also is a lot of stuff going on regarding
Kylix' future. While there still are a lot of things that are unknown, one
thing is for sure now: The future for Kylix-build applications is secured,
no matter if Borland decides to continue the product or not.

Could you explain a bit more?

Dave Nottage [TeamB] sighed and wrote::

FWIW, I'm producing a desktop product (although it is for one customer
only, but potentially thousands of units) with the current version of
Kylix, and it is not Kylix that makes it scary; it is Linux that does.

Just a matter of curiosity, why's that? Aside for the conceptual
differences in how things are executed within the Linux desktop,
what else?
I only just managed to get a desktop 'powerful' enough to run
Kylix 2 (or was it 3), but I suppose my experience with it is
still lukewarm at best. The IDE's slow. Then I took a look
at KDevelop which is a neat IDE, except for the fact that
I can't program in C++ to save my life. Ok. I lied. I
can do basic stuff like defining basic classes and
instantiating them; but when it comes to namespaces
and templates, it's bye-bye.
But I digress.
Edmund

Edmund wrote:
Just a matter of curiosity, why's that? Aside for the conceptual
differences in how things are executed within the Linux desktop,
what else?
Lack of knowledge/understanding on the customers part is a huge one.
Their Windows knowledge far outstrips their knowledge of Linux, and
gaining Linux knowledge is prohibitive due to a number of factors,
including multiple distributions, which can make it confusing and
difficult for a lot of people to gain an understanding of. Multiple
desktop options with different applications for doing the same thing
adds fuel to the fire, but then I'm stating the obvious here with all
that.
I only just managed to get a desktop 'powerful' enough to run
Kylix 2 (or was it 3), but I suppose my experience with it is
still lukewarm at best. The IDE's slow.
FWIW, it worked fine for me. That is until I started using Delphi 7 and
CrossKylix, so now the speed of the Kylix IDE on Linux makes no
difference since I don't (or hardly ever) use it.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:

FWIW, it worked fine for me. That is until I started using Delphi 7 and
CrossKylix, so now the speed of the Kylix IDE on Linux makes no
difference since I don't (or hardly ever) use it.

Kylix 3 works fine for me, although if I were starting a new project I
would go with CrossKylix. So far now you can produce a Linux desktop app
easily that will work great. However as far as I'm concerned that's
only possible thanks to the efforts of Mr. Hausladen and Mr. Kissel.
What happens 3-5 years from now when your customers are demanding an
updated user interface, and those gentlemen have moved on to other projects.
Kylix or CrossKylix really needs a long term commitment from Borland to
be a viable option for me.