Re: So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

2003-11-04 12:35:27 AM
kylix1
Hi Paul,
I do not find Swing too bulky in the 1.4.x builds. Yes, it is much
heavier than SWT, however, Swing offers a more thorough approach, as you
rightfully stated,
- Have you found any full featured grid and lookup controls like Woll2Woll,
DevExpress... for Java?
- Same for reporting. Have you found anything like RB, FastReports... for
reporting?
- My feeling is that the Delphi 3rd party market is stronger for Delphi
than it is for Java but I may be wrong.
- BTW, which IDE do you use for Java development. Borland's JBuilder,
Eclipse, Oracle ?
Thanks to share your experience.
Regards,
Oliver

Re:Re: So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

Rob wrote:
Please. You know it, just like everyone else does, but just do not
want to admit it. Hey, I am not at all happy about it, and I wish I
could change the fact, but I can't. So Borland makes a dot net
version of Delphi, and drops native compilation.
They're not dropping native compilation.
Having said that, development for Win32 isn't going to be around
forever either.
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

On 11/03/03 23:25 +0900, JQP wrote:
"Bob { Goddard }" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:bo5msq$182ebf$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>TROLL

Unfortunately, it is more TRUTH than TROLL.
Oh, bollocks. Your cries of foul against Linux and open source in
general are far better suited for the Windows advocacy groups.
You'll get lots of amens and Yo, bruthas there. A quick Google
shows you to be very active evangelizing Windows. It also shows
you to be very plonkable.
You're one of Them.
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan
// mp3.com/trane_francks/

{smallsort}

Re:Re: So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

"Trane Francks" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
You're one of Them.
If devoting time to flawed products with little chance of marketplace
success is what it takes to become one of "you", I'll gladly remain one of
"them".

Re:Re: So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

>No different to distributing on Microsoft then. How many
>versions are needed now for backwards compatibility :)

In our case, we only need one.
You are lucky then - I can't install SP4 for W2k because it
trashes the RAS ISDN stuff ( even MICROSOFT dial out! ), and
no acceptance from Microsoft that there is even a problem!
Three other packages I use had to provide updates to cope,
but even after that the core RAS problems remain.
All our desktop software runs on everything from Win95 to XP. The only show
stopper I can think of at the moment is we require WinSock 2 which did not
ship with Win95. We test for it and tell the user where to download the
update if necessary.
Stuff I generate is fine, simply maintaining third party
stuff across service packs is the problem :)
I'm having the Broadband connection hooked up to my Linux
server simply because I know it will work, and the two W2k
installs have both had problems. For every person without
problems there is one with ;)

Re:Re: So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

[SNIP...]:-)
You're one of Them.
TROLL

Re:Re: So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

On 11/04/03 19:20 +0900, johnnie wrote:
[SNIP...]:-)
>You're one of Them.

TROLL
Just callin' it as I sees it, bro. Frankly, this newsgroup reads
more like b.p.k.{*word*75}.{*word*75}.{*word*75}, doncha think? The whole "Kylix
is dead" thing has been a topic since shortly after K1 released.
Since K1, we've been listening to people {*word*75}ing about how bad
Kylix is and why Linux is a terrible OS to release apps on. It's
WAY old by now, 'kay? Get over it, people. Here in the Borland
newsgroups, we didn't even get through JUNE 2001 (!) before Kylix
development was being pronounced dead.
Call me troll all you like. At least I code with VS, Delphi and
Kylix and can get through the day without pissing about how bad
Windows is or how Linux's libs change too fast.
Then again, maybe it's just me. A cup of tea would be nice about now.

Trane Francks wrote:
Just callin' it as I sees it, bro. Frankly, this newsgroup reads
more like b.p.k.{*word*75}.{*word*75}.{*word*75}, doncha think? The whole "Kylix
is dead" thing has been a topic since shortly after K1 released.
Since K1, we've been listening to people {*word*75}ing about how bad
Kylix is and why Linux is a terrible OS to release apps on. It's
WAY old by now, 'kay? Get over it, people. Here in the Borland
newsgroups, we didn't even get through JUNE 2001 (!) before Kylix
development was being pronounced dead.
Call me troll all you like. At least I code with VS, Delphi and
Kylix and can get through the day without pissing about how bad
Windows is or how Linux's libs change too fast.
Then again, maybe it's just me. A cup of tea would be nice about now.
Well, now you should understand all that {*word*75}ing was 99% correct. :-)

Re:Re: So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:3fa66442$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
The way Oracle "handles it" is by supporting only limited number of
distros:

otn.oracle.com/tech/linux/htdocs/ocfs_faq_031103.html
ion
A limited list of certificated environments does not mean that it does
not work on others.
If Borland just tried to maintain for the major Linux distros (RH,
Mandrake, Suse), it would be quite sure that it runs on others.

Which Linux Distributions Are Certified With OCFS?
Currently Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS and SUSE SLES8 are certified.
<<<

This may be OK for server products but not for the general desktop.
Again, a limited list of certification does not mean that it does not
work on others. List of certificated platforms are for lawyers.

Re:Re: So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

You previus post was nothing more than a personal atack with out
anything to offer not even an opinion.
This on the other hand tries at least to explain your position, I can
find something to make me think or puke in any case it will have a
positive effect.
regards
johnnie.

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
"Andreas Prucha" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>List of certificated platforms are for lawyers.

I disagree. The Oracle license is already filled with disclaimers.
And?

The list of certified platforms is an effort to limit support costs to
a manageable level.
Correct. If people use something else, they can just say "Not certified".
Once the list is published, no sane company is
going to use anything else ... even if it does appear to work.

Consequently, were it not for incompatibilities among distros, there
would be no need for a list.
Wrong. Even if they appear to be completely compatible, it would make
sense from a legal POV to "certify" environments. Theoretically,
everything WinNT and Win2000 are compatible. And in most cases it is
true. However, there are a few cases, where WinNT and Win2000 react
differently. Thus, it makes sense to test and certify for both. Even the
same OS with an different service pack can cause some problems.
Certification lists are for lawyers and to make a dicision easier. If
it's on the list of supported OSes, I can complain if it does not work.
If it's not on the list, it will propably still work, but I cannot
complain.

Re:Re: So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

"Andreas Prucha" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
List of certificated platforms are for lawyers.
I disagree. The Oracle license is already filled with disclaimers.
The list of certified platforms is an effort to limit support costs to a
manageable level. Once the list is published, no sane company is going to
use anything else ... even if it does appear to work.
Consequently, were it not for incompatibilities among distros, there would
be no need for a list.

Re:Re: So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

as a dba i still think oracle is one of the best databases out there
disclaimers or not, ive used it in some really large terabyte+ systems
with large loads (telecom etc) & its always performed superbly
ive also tried oracle8 &9i on a number of distros that werent certified &
its run with no issues.
again with oracle & unix in general you do need an indepth understanding
of what you are doing. this is not a toy db by any means.

Re:Re: So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

On 03-Nov-03, JQP said:
Have you considered how many recompiles and different versions it
would take to cover 90% of the installed Linux base? The companies
you mention "keep up" by releasing the source code and allowing
others (the end user, the distro vendor, etc.) to shoulder most of
the the burden.

This is the "compatibility" issue that I've harped on here before.
It's existed for decades and has been very effective at keeping *nix
off the desktop.
And it's the reason that Kylix will never be certified on more than a
handful of distros. Certification costs time and money, and the Linux
community generally places a very value on both of those commodities.
--
Bill
--------

Re:Re: So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

On 02-Nov-03, Ender said:
I think Kylix - fine example how Linux perfectly protecting himself
from software that does not fit in it's ideology of open source.
In the real world, there are bills to pay, and many of us do not have
the luxury of living with our parents, in a rent-free space. The
ideology of open source is fraught with peril for software
professionals.
--
Bill
--------