Unpredictable font behaviour at different resolutions

2004-09-24 03:37:12 PM
kylix1
In testing an app I wrote, I'm seeing some VERY odd behaviour regarding
font support on my menus. Has anybody seen this before and, more
importantly, how the heck can I fix it? I've designed my forms at
1600x1200 (75dpi). Looks fine there. When I change to 800x600, the menu
text is so small as to be unreadable. The rest of the form looks fine.
At this point, if somebody is working at 1024x768 or higher, things
should be workable. If somebody happens to be running at 800x600, good luck.
I have both fixed and popup menus there. Both have the same problem. The
problem also applies to the font used in the TTrayIcon component I used
on the form.
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan

Re:Unpredictable font behaviour at different resolutions

Trane Francks wrote:
In testing an app I wrote, I'm seeing some VERY odd behaviour regarding
font support on my menus. Has anybody seen this before and, more
importantly, how the heck can I fix it? I've designed my forms at
1600x1200 (75dpi). Looks fine there. When I change to 800x600, the menu
text is so small as to be unreadable. The rest of the form looks fine.
Have you tried with setting the 'Scaled' property on the Form to False?
siegs

Trane Francks wrote:
In testing an app I wrote, I'm seeing some VERY odd behaviour
regarding font support on my menus. Has anybody seen this before and,
more importantly, how the heck can I fix it? I've designed my forms at
1600x1200 (75dpi). Looks fine there. When I change to 800x600, the
menu text is so small as to be unreadable. The rest of the form looks
fine. At this point, if somebody is working at 1024x768 or higher,
things should be workable. If somebody happens to be running at
800x600, good luck.
Is your monitor really running 1600x1200 at 75DPI?
My system is set to run 1280x1024 at 90x89DPI. If the resolution
changes then so does the DPI.

On 09/24/2004 05:57 PM +0900, SiegfriedN wrote:
Trane Francks wrote:
>In testing an app I wrote, I'm seeing some VERY odd behaviour regarding
>font support on my menus. Has anybody seen this before and, more
>importantly, how the heck can I fix it? I've designed my forms at
>1600x1200 (75dpi). Looks fine there. When I change to 800x600, the menu
>text is so small as to be unreadable. The rest of the form looks fine.

Have you tried with setting the 'Scaled' property on the Form to False?
Yes, the property is set to False. I have no problem with the form and
the various labels on it. Only the font used for the menus is a problem.

On 09/24/2004 06:33 PM +0900, Bob Goddard wrote:
Is your monitor really running 1600x1200 at 75DPI?
According to xpdyinfo, yes:
screen #0:
dimensions: 1600x1200 pixels (542x406 millimeters)
resolution: 75x75 dots per inch
My system is set to run 1280x1024 at 90x89DPI. If the resolution
changes then so does the DPI.
Fair enough. That doesn't explain why all the form's text-based objects
display fine at any resolution *except* for the menus. Something isn't
right here and I don't think that the DPI of my X Server has anything to
do with it. I could be wrong, mind you. Wouldn't be the first time! :)
It's a bit frustrating. This is my first Kylix deployment in the wild.
Having these kinds of rudimentary issues is, err, a bit egg-on-face. I
didn't catch this on my own; one of my users did. *sigh*

Trane Francks wrote:
On 09/24/2004 06:33 PM +0900, Bob Goddard wrote:

>Is your monitor really running 1600x1200 at 75DPI?

According to xpdyinfo, yes:

screen #0:
dimensions: 1600x1200 pixels (542x406 millimeters)
resolution: 75x75 dots per inch
So you are running this on a 26.5" screen?
>My system is set to run 1280x1024 at 90x89DPI. If the resolution
>changes then so does the DPI.

Fair enough. That doesn't explain why all the form's text-based
objects display fine at any resolution *except* for the menus.
Something isn't right here and I don't think that the DPI of my X
Server has anything to do with it. I could be wrong, mind you.
Wouldn't be the first time! :)
It can explain. Set up your screen dimensions in your XF86Config file
properly.
It's a bit frustrating. This is my first Kylix deployment in the wild.
Having these kinds of rudimentary issues is, err, a bit egg-on-face. I
didn't catch this on my own; one of my users did. *sigh*
Don't worry. The majority of users out there do not have their
DPI set up properly.

Re:Unpredictable font behaviour at different resolutions

On 09/24/2004 09:23 PM +0900, Bob Goddard wrote:
Hi, Bob.
>screen #0:
>dimensions: 1600x1200 pixels (542x406 millimeters)
>resolution: 75x75 dots per inch

So you are running this on a 26.5" screen?
*ahem* Apparently not. :-D
>Something isn't right here and I don't think that the DPI of my X
>Server has anything to do with it. I could be wrong, mind you.
>Wouldn't be the first time! :)

It can explain. Set up your screen dimensions in your XF86Config file
properly.
There you go. It took some hunting, but DisplaySize is now set in
xorg.conf. Yes, it makes a difference with DPI set to 99x99.
>It's a bit frustrating. This is my first Kylix deployment in the wild.
>Having these kinds of rudimentary issues is, err, a bit egg-on-face. I
>didn't catch this on my own; one of my users did. *sigh*

Don't worry. The majority of users out there do not have their
DPI set up properly.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It's much appreciated.

"Trane Francks" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na mensagem
In testing an app I wrote, I'm seeing some VERY odd behaviour regarding
font support on my menus. Has anybody seen this before and, more
importantly, how the heck can I fix it? I've designed my forms at
1600x1200 (75dpi). Looks fine there. When I change to 800x600, the menu
text is so small as to be unreadable. The rest of the form looks fine. At
this point, if somebody is working at 1024x768 or higher, things should be
workable. If somebody happens to be running at 800x600, good luck.
I solved some problems like this with the suggestions in this site:
www.efg2.com/Lab/Library/Kylix/FormScaling/index.htm

news:4153cea8$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>In testing an app I wrote, I'm seeing some VERY odd behaviour
>regarding font support on my menus. Has anybody seen this before and,
>more importantly, how the heck can I fix it? I've designed my forms
>at 1600x1200 (75dpi). Looks fine there. When I change to 800x600, the
>menu text is so small as to be unreadable. The rest of the form looks
>fine. At this point, if somebody is working at 1024x768 or higher,
>things should be workable. If somebody happens to be running at
>800x600, good luck.

I solved some problems like this with the suggestions in this site:
www.efg2.com/Lab/Library/Kylix/FormScaling/index.htm
Your information about DPI on X is completely and utterly wrong.

Re:Unpredictable font behaviour at different resolutions

"Bob Goddard" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na
mensagem news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Your information about DPI on X is completely and utterly wrong.
What?
I just indicated a link!

Re:Unpredictable font behaviour at different resolutions

"Rider of the storm" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na mensagem
"Bob Goddard" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na
mensagem news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Your information about DPI on X is completely and utterly wrong.

What?
I just indicated a link!
with which I solved similar problem!

Rider of the storm wrote:
"Bob Goddard" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na
mensagem news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Your information about DPI on X is completely and utterly wrong.

What?
I just indicated a link!
Yup, sorry. s/^Your/The/

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>"Bob Goddard" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na
>mensagem news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>
>>Your information about DPI on X is completely and utterly wrong.
>
>What?
>I just indicated a link!

with which I solved similar problem!
Which is the wrong way to do it.
I refuse to break my system just so that a badly written program
can look good.
The correct way always has been and always will be to set the
system up with the correct DPI, either by allowing X to interogate
DDC, or to set the screen dimensions in XF86Config.

Re:Unpredictable font behaviour at different resolutions

"Bob Goddard" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na
mensagem news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Yup, sorry. s/^Your/The/
heheh! Ok!