Help Installing Linux Suse 9...

2003-12-19 04:52:12 AM
kylix2
I'm downloading Suse 9 from ftp... i never imagine that was sooo big!!!
I download from work where exist broadband and the computer work close
to 18 hours by day. Now, is downloading the carpet Suse/src, i imagine
the source of the tools... is necesary download them???
Because i need test Suse in my house first, i need traslate it.. How
know what files are necesary to install (i don't have a DVD burner)
Ahhh, and for be ontopic= I wanna instal kylyk&wine here

Re:Help Installing Linux Suse 9...

m>I'm downloading Suse 9 from ftp... i never imagine that was sooo
m>big!!!
Yeah. Linux distros is big because of big amount of various programs in it.
m>I download from work where exist broadband and the computer work
m>close to 18 hours by day. Now, is downloading the carpet Suse/src,
m>i imagine the source of the tools... is necesary download them???
Not necessary.
m>Because i need test Suse in my house first, i need traslate it.. How
m>know what files are necesary to install (i don't have a DVD burner)
Run installation and select one of common templates: Office, Development,
Server. I'm usually select Development.
m>Ahhh, and for be ontopic= I wanna instal kylyk&wine here
Better learn C++ and do not use Kylix at all. Borland discontinued Kylix
(ok, i know that it was not discontinued formally, but actually it is).

mamcx < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
I'm downloading Suse 9 from ftp... i never imagine that was sooo big!!!

Newbye on linux, eh ? Welcome...
Be prepared to spend MUCH time...but not wasted time...
I suggest you not to start with Suse like that.
Get the CD's (as a gift from a review, maybe)
Use Suse (or Mandrake or RedHat) just to be sure that linux
works and looks even simple.
But quickly abandone huge, windows-styled distributions. You will not learn
much from them. These distribs leads you to the risk
of porting the Windows approach on linux
Windows: something wrong->reinstall all->no knowlwdge improvement
Linux: something wrong->view the log files->find solution->know how has improved
I kindly suggest Debian (kylix proofed)...
I download from work where exist broadband and the computer work close
to 18 hours by day. Now, is downloading the carpet Suse/src, i imagine
the source of the tools... is necesary download them???

No
Because i need test Suse in my house first, i need traslate it.. How
know what files are necesary to install (i don't have a DVD burner)

Ahhh, and for be ontopic= I wanna instal kylyk&wine here
For the kylix purpose, wine is installed by Kylix.
Be sure your distribution can host kylix easily (e.g.
with no need to tune the kernel or other guru stuff; search on google,
I tested RedHat7, Debian woody, Debian Sid, ...).
Roberto

{smallsort}

Re:Help Installing Linux Suse 9...

Better learn C++ and do not use Kylix at all. Borland discontinued Kylix
(ok, i know that it was not discontinued formally, but actually it is).
Yeah, that is sad, but i'm part of a very small dev team (=me) so C++ is
the worse possible selection... By the way i install kylyk and see how
good can be (because no broad instalation of linux is made in my city by
now, i have control in install anything i need, so if kylyk work is the
more fast route...or at leas i hope that. If not, maybe wine can help me
enough. If not, then hope for mono. If not then go Java. Yeah! i do a
program for this!)
I wanna see a resurected spitit of suport linux, in any way that take,
using a delphi or delphi like tool (not java)...

Re:Help Installing Linux Suse 9...

For the kylix purpose, wine is installed by Kylix.

Be sure your distribution can host kylix easily (e.g.
with no need to tune the kernel or other guru stuff; search on google,
Whoa. Can you amplify the top sentence? I have K3 installed on RH9 and
it works well, but as far as I can tell, Wine is not installed anywhere or
it is somewhere hidden and out of my path in which case I don't know why
it would be there.
The sentence caught my eye because I have a friend with a broadband
connection getting the full Wine distro for me for this weekend.
KRF

mamcx wrote:
>Better learn C++ and do not use Kylix at all. Borland discontinued Kylix
>(ok, i know that it was not discontinued formally, but actually it is).

Yeah, that is sad, but i'm part of a very small dev team (=me) so C++ is
the worse possible selection... By the way i install kylyk and see how
good can be (because no broad instalation of linux is made in my city by
now, i have control in install anything i need, so if kylyk work is the
more fast route...or at leas i hope that. If not, maybe wine can help me
enough. If not, then hope for mono. If not then go Java. Yeah! i do a
program for this!)

I wanna see a resurected spitit of suport linux, in any way that take,
using a delphi or delphi like tool (not java)...

Check out Lazarus, based on freepascal. It's a Delphi clone.