Re: Long live Kylix - says Borland top software architect

2003-07-15 12:55:22 PM
kylix2
j>"Kylix is a long term investment for Borland" says Danny Thorpe
j>Compiler Architect, RAD Tools Group of Borland Corporation
j>The tread is on borland.public.delphi.non-technical
j>Re: Will Delphi 8 be Linux compatible?
j>newsgroups.borland.com/cgi-bin/dnewsweb&group=
j>borland.public.delphi.non-technical&item=365020&utag=
I'm readed this article. Danny said more than any other official. Good guy.
But from current point it changes little. Fixes still needed, and they still
not going to release it. Sadly.

Re:Re: Long live Kylix - says Borland top software architect

Good!
If Borland is going to continue the Kylix project, I'll continue using
and buying it.
In the past few days I've had a look at KDevelop, Freepascal and
Lazarus,to have an alternative just in case...
But I was not convinced.
It's enough for me to know that there is a future for the product and
there might be a version one day which will run on SuSE 9, 10, 11 ;-)
Don't under-estimate the work of Andras Hausladen and his patches.
I agree with juliusz, that in the current situation, this is probably
the best way to go.
Theo

Re:Re: Long live Kylix - says Borland top software architect

Ender wrote:
It is good new that Kylix still breathing. But i'm not believe to Borland
anymore. Remember what Danny is said: "Kylix is on a development schedule
proportionate to its revenue, as are nearly all Borland products. That
means Kylix may not be updated as frequently as Delphi for Win32, or
Borland may not assign as many people to work on the next Kylix release as
on the next Delphi for Win32 release. That does not imply Borland is
withdrawing from the Linux tools market. It simply means Borland is
managing its resources as any responsible, profitable business should."

What this mean? Assume that Danny words 100% describe actual situation.
"...proportionate to its revenue...". As we see from past and from current
time Borland does not put enough resources to create *good* (good mean -
same quality as Delphi) programming environment on Linux. Kylix is poor
quality product, so revenue from it not big. And i doubt that it will raise
in near future, because there is no actual improvements happening. This
mean that Kylix is on back burner, and we cannot expect next release in the
nearest future, and development process will be slow in general.
I choose to be a little more optimistic ;-) He said "That means
Kylix may not be updated as frequently ... " (but it will) " or
Borland may not assign as many people to work on the next Kylix
release.. " (but they will work on it) And this indicates to me that
at least one person or more will be working on urgent patches for
Kylix, and some people will work on the new release of the product.
It is a good thing. Since in the period of the last few months the
absence of any significant activities related to Kylix combined with
the total silence on the subject appeared as the product was
completely abandoned by Borland and this could not possibly helped in
building any momentum for Kylix. As a matter of fact this "dark
period" described above in Borland- developer relations in my opinion
significantly damage the momentum of Kylix. Just look on the
newsgroups, many of the valuable to community people are gone, I just
hope that they will gradually return and all of us will have the
opportunity to exchange ideas and learn from each other... But it may
take same time before Borland will regain developers trust and
confidence, most likely only by providing noticeable support for the
product ... Nevertheless, telling the truth, as they did, is always a
good starting point in any relation ... ;-)
The presents of Linux line of products on the Borland's menu is a
extremely important factor how the company is perceive by others ..
since they don't keep all the eggs in one basket Borland is appearing
to be much more stable and more independent to the financial world and
to theirs business partners.
This independence status is indirectly generating income for Borland,
and this must be a considered factor in calculating how much in
reality they profit from Kylix. Therefore it must be also a
consideration in the resources assignment to support Kylix...
He also said "Kylix is a long term investment for Borland ...
Borland has no plans to squander that hard-earned market position. "
I other words I fully expect that Borland will address all the most
urgent issues related to the new glibc/ de{*word*81} problems etc.. in
context of the curent Linux technology and that they will make the
effort to make Kylix more sellable by smoothing some of the rough
corners of the product.
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer/builder
www.superobject.com/installmade/

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Long live Kylix - says Borland top software architect

I don't like the idea of no patches but if they can come out with a new
version that can generate compiled executables and Mono assemblies then I
think they are going to do more good for the long term. Maybe they can give
a ultra special deal for previous Kylix users that have stuck by them for
the life of Kylix. That would be my thought.
--
Chris Woodruff
Openpenguin