No Kylix Update for a while

2003-11-05 12:47:23 AM
kylix0
From the "News from BorCon - what, am I too lazy to set up a blog?" message
in the Delphi.nontechnical newsgroup, it looks like Kylix will have no
update until at least 2004. No news yet as to the status of any patches but
I would not hold my breath on it.
Chris Woodruff

Re:No Kylix Update for a while

Chris Woodruff wrote:
it looks like Kylix will have no update until at least 2004.
Maybe Borland wants to wait till the Linux market is bigger. Or they want
the people not remember the first Kylix versions.
--
Regards
Andreas Hausladen

Re:No Kylix Update for a while

Correction:
According to the mentioned post there will be no Kylix update
until 2005 (No updates in 2003 or 2004) !!!
Kinda bad news, but at least we have some facts so we can
start using other Linux development tools without thinking
about "abandoning" Kylix.
Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Chris Woodruff wrote:

>it looks like Kylix will have no update until at least 2004.

Maybe Borland wants to wait till the Linux market is bigger. Or they want
the people not remember the first Kylix versions.

{smallsort}

Re:No Kylix Update for a while

In borland.public.kylix.non-technical, Chris Woodruff
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
From the "News from BorCon - what, am I too lazy to set up a blog?" message
in the Delphi.nontechnical newsgroup, it looks like Kylix will have no
update until at least 2004. No news yet as to the status of any patches but
I would not hold my breath on it.
I thought it was said that no updates are currently planned at all, but if
they do occur it isn't likedly to be until after 2004. Brion
apparently heard it slightly differently.
Kylix is dead, but Borland is loathe to hold the funeral because that would
reduce minuscule earnings from Kylix into the void before the
universe started. My opinion, but one that I bet is very widely shared.
--
***Free Your Mind***

"Captain Jake" <johnjac76[nospam]@comcast.net>wrote in message
In borland.public.kylix.non-technical, Chris Woodruff
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...

Kylix is dead, but Borland is loathe to hold the funeral because that
would
reduce minuscule earnings from Kylix into the void before the
universe started. My opinion, but one that I bet is very widely shared.

How about Kylix is in a persistant vegetative state (PVS) with little or no
hope of recovery? I bought K3PVS several months ago and have been using it
successfully on Suse 8.2 and Libranet 2.8 to do a lot of non-gui system and
data work. I like OP on Linux and find that I can get many things done as
quickly as I can with perl since I've built a little library.
So it's found a niche with me. If it dies, so what (for me).
In the meantime, I'm watching Lazarus. Just need to carve out a day to
really rip into it.

James David wrote:

In the meantime, I'm watching Lazarus. Just need to carve out a day to
really rip into it.

Are there several downloads for lazarus? Can I just d/l the binary, and
freepascal? or is there more to it?
I tried to sign up for a mailing list on the site but got no confirmation.
Thanks for any info....

ken moffat wrote:
James David wrote:

>In the meantime, I'm watching Lazarus. Just need to carve out a day to
>really rip into it.

Are there several downloads for lazarus? Can I just d/l the binary, and
freepascal? or is there more to it?
I tried to sign up for a mailing list on the site but got no confirmation.
Thanks for any info....

You download FPC and Lazarus IDE (check the site) and check also
lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/
the cvs is updated daily and the mailing list is more than 20 message/day.
By the way you can deploy a exe file made with lazarus only with the GTK
libs, no tricks, no specific lib, it is great :-)

Re:No Kylix Update for a while

espiridiao wrote:
..

You download FPC and Lazarus IDE (check the site) and check also
lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/

the cvs is updated daily and the mailing list is more than 20 message/day.

By the way you can deploy a exe file made with lazarus only with the GTK
libs, no tricks, no specific lib, it is great :-)

sounds good. Just d/l the ide and fpc and away I go? I am using libranet
(debian).

espiridiao wrote:

You download FPC and Lazarus IDE (check the site) and check also
lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/

I've done that last night.
It works.
Well, it's still a long way to go, but it's opensource. Why not help them?

theo wrote:
espiridiao wrote:

>You download FPC and Lazarus IDE (check the site) and check also
>lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/

I've done that last night.
It works.
Well, it's still a long way to go, but it's opensource. Why not help them?

I keep having 100% cpu usage lockup at random times when saving,
opening, etc.

ken moffat wrote:

I keep having 100% cpu usage lockup at random times when saving,
opening, etc.
It works for me. But what do you expect? It's more like K1 beta, but we
have the sources and we - or some other talents ;-) could fix the bugs.

Re:No Kylix Update for a while

I agree with you. I know that here are very intelligent people that can
help with Lazarus.
It could be now imperfect, but while exist 1 programmer and 1 user
interested, it will be alive.