Board index » kylix » So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

So, what to use if Kylix is dead?


2003-11-01 08:08:19 AM
kylix2
I like Kylix. I admit I am new to Linux, and have a Delphi / C++ background.
So, I am sad to see Kylix is dead, and I wonder what I should use to develop
Linux applications in?
-Robbie
 
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

"DelphiCoder" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
I like Kylix. I admit I am new to Linux, and have a Delphi / C++
background.
So, I am sad to see Kylix is dead, and I wonder what I should use to
develop
Linux applications in?
I use GTK+, and I've been learning wxWindows.
I think Borland, by way of CBuilderX, will get a lot more mileage out of
wxWindows than QT. However, cross-platform or not, I really like the idea of
using object pascal on linux, so to that end, I'll be keeping my eye on the
Lazarus project and will be praying for good news about Kylix.
my $0.02
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:31:30 -0500, James David wrote:
Quote
"DelphiCoder" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:3fa2fbfb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I like Kylix. I admit I am new to Linux, and have a Delphi / C++
background.
>So, I am sad to see Kylix is dead, and I wonder what I should use to
develop
>Linux applications in?

I use GTK+, and I've been learning wxWindows.

I think Borland, by way of CBuilderX, will get a lot more mileage out of
wxWindows than QT. However, cross-platform or not, I really like the
idea of using object pascal on linux, so to that end, I'll be keeping my
eye on the Lazarus project and will be praying for good news about
Kylix.

my $0.02
Yes, me too. Delphi was (is) so good that, on occasion, I almost think
about going back to Windose just for it. It is the only thing that I miss
about the Redmond Bloatware, but I miss it a whole lot. I don't know of
any IDE that will turn out small desktop applications (my specialty) that
are as small and tight and are so easy to distribute.
I have Kylix 3 running real solid as a compiler only (on RH-9) and
sometimes jump over to windose and build the app in Delphi then dump it to
Linux/Kylix for compiliation. I have a perl script that converts the few
differences (file access and such) from Win to Linux.
I can handle C but I sure hope that Borland isn't abandoning Object
Pascal.
Helen (but not of Troy)
 

{smallsort}

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

I have been looking for a RAD solution for Linux development for a long
time and, for the time being, I believe Kylix is the best choice for
small-to-medium size development projects. QT and GTK are nice but I
believe coding a lightweight GUI in C++ adds a lot of development time
that I would rather spend doing other tasks.
The latest release of Kylix lets me create nice looking applications that
perform very well using a RAD environment similar to Delphi.
I see Kylix being the best solution until the Mono project (and .Net on
Windows) pick up enough steam.
However if you are thinking of developing a large, complex application I
would have to recommend using either GTK or QT.
Tyler
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:08:19 -0500, DelphiCoder wrote:
Quote
I like Kylix. I admit I am new to Linux, and have a Delphi / C++
background. So, I am sad to see Kylix is dead, and I wonder what I
should use to develop Linux applications in?

-Robbie
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

On 11/01/03 09:08 +0900, DelphiCoder wrote:
Quote
So, I am sad to see Kylix is dead,
Isn't it a bit premature to sign a death certificate before the
patient stops breathing?
trane
--
//------------------------------------------------------------
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan
// Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
// mp3.com/trane_francks/
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

DelphiCoder wrote:
Quote
I like Kylix. I admit I am new to Linux, and have a Delphi / C++
background. So, I am sad to see Kylix is dead, and I wonder what I should
use to develop Linux applications in?

-Robbie
I do not know whether or not Kylix is DOA, but I use Java, generally.
Builder X looks like it has lots of promise as well.
Kylix has had too many bugs in it for my taste, albeit Kylix 3 Dephi was
pretty good. The C++ version I finally gave up on.
One of the problems with Kylix is that Borland has not kept up with the
newer glibs, which means nerwer version support is behind for a year or
more. Not an option in my stable <G>.
If you really want and desire XPlatform apps however, that keep uyp and are
assured to work on multiple platforms, try Java with JDK 1.4.2. This latest
JVM has sped up Java operations quite a bit.
If you still feel like you need near native speed, try Eclipse and SWT. SWT
is a JNI wrapper for Java that uses native widgets (GTK, Motif,Win 32,
etc).
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

Quote
Isn't it a bit premature to sign a death certificate before the
patient stops breathing?

trane
--
Just going by the threads in this newsgroup. Again, like my post said, I
like Kylix but I am new to Linux. My source of how the state of affairs are
with Kylix is this newsgroup. Hardly any traffic, and the traffic that is
here says it is dead. Delphi non.tech is becoming the same way. Talk of
Delphi .NET. But honestly, why use a non MS tool for .NET, when .NET was
created by MS, and it will always be ahead of the others?
Enough of the win platform and demise of languages for windows. I am looking
for a language/ide in Linux that is considered commercial quality with a
proven track record. I know that Linux is written in C++/Asm, so my tendency
is to lean that route. someone mentioned Java in this thread. I have done
some Java programming, but was not aware it was widely used in the Linux
crowd. That would be nice, pperhaps I could even use JBuilder. Still, I want
to be able to change my own kernel code as well.
-Robbie
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

DelphiCoder wrote:
Quote
But honestly, why use a non MS tool for .NET, when .NET was
created by MS, and it will always be ahead of the others?
If I re-phrase that to "why use a non-Ms tool for Windows, when Windows was
created by MS, and it will always be ahead of the others?" would it make any
sense to you?
--
.. P.
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

tylerv wrote:
Quote
However if you are thinking of developing a large, complex application I
would have to recommend using either GTK or QT.
May I ask why? Is it to avoid (possible) losses if Kylix is dead or for
some other reason (Qt is better, or smth. other)?
--
Eugene Mayevski
EldoS Corp., CTO
Networking and security solutions, custom development services
www.eldos.com
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

Quote
If I re-phrase that to "why use a non-Ms tool for Windows, when Windows
was
created by MS, and it will always be ahead of the others?" would it make
any
sense to you?

--
.. P.
You know, take a look at the slow dying Delphi product. That is why your
rephrase makes perfect sense to me. I don't plan to make that mistake again.
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

I considered Java for a medium-sized GUI project, here is what I
concluded; please feel free to correct me as I am no means a Java guru:
- For GUI toolkits, Swing is a bit bulky and IMHO, ugly; SWT however is
very nice and uses native platform widgets
- SWT is a bit "too new" meaning that UI components available in Swing are
not yet available for SWT (such as an outlook-style sidebar). This
argument could also be applied to QT, GTK, or wxWindows.
- Distributing SWT applications on Windows is fairly painless, however
Linux (or Mac) distribution support appeared to be very involved
In the end I chose Kylix, but did so with the understanding that Kylix is
a temporary solution until either Mono or Java/SWT distinguish themselves
as a true cross-platform GUI development solution (unless, of course,
Borland updates Kylix).
Tyler
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 03:06:12 -0500, pNichols wrote:
Quote
If you still feel like you need near native speed, try Eclipse and SWT.
SWT is a JNI wrapper for Java that uses native widgets (GTK, Motif,Win
32, etc).
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

With the lack of positive information we are receiving from Borland about
Kylix, I believe future of cross-platform GUI development within Borland
does not involve Kylix.
I would truly hate to see Kylix die; I am currently using it for a GUI
application and the last thing I want to be doing is writing throwaway
code, but the reality is that Borland seems to be supporting wxWindows for
cross-platform GUI development and .Net for Win32 work.
Therefore, I would not recommend using Kylix now for a large development
project simply because of the amount of "throwaway" code that could be
amassed.
If Borland does End-Of-Line Kylix, the best solution would be for the QT
wrappers to become open-sourced. Kylix has a very strong (albeit small)
developer community who would love to pick up the Kylix development torch.
I just hope Borland gives us the opportunity.
Tyler
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 19:23:43 +0200, Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Quote
tylerv wrote:

>However if you are thinking of developing a large, complex application
>I would have to recommend using either GTK or QT.

May I ask why? Is it to avoid (possible) losses if Kylix is dead or for
some other reason (Qt is better, or smth. other)?
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

On 01-Nov-03, pNichols said:
Quote
One of the problems with Kylix is that Borland has not kept up with
the newer glibs, which means nerwer version support is behind for a
year or more. Not an option in my stable <G>.
And that's one of the reasons that attempting to target Linux as a
platform is, at best, fraught with peril. A continuously moving and
never "standard" target with uncertain prospects for ROI... sounds a
disaster to me.
--
Bill
--------
"We may become the first society destroyed by its own experts --
especially experts in fields where there is no expertise that can be
verified by facts." -- Thomas Sowell
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

DelphiCoder wrote:
Quote
You know, take a look at the slow dying Delphi product.
I don't see at all why you say Delphi is dying.
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)
 

Re:So, what to use if Kylix is dead?

pNichols wrote:
Quote
(like QT, GTK, KDevelop, Black Adder, etc).
That comment illustrates Bill's point quite nicely.
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)