Cross-platform: What happened to StarView?

2003-12-02 05:47:32 PM
kylix0
Star Office, now a.k.a. Openoffice, was developed using a
cross-platform C++ library called StarView (for Windows,
Macintosh etc). Star Software did cross-platform
development before we even invented that expression.
What happened to that product?
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(please remove the ".net" from my e-mail address)

Re:Cross-platform: What happened to StarView?

On 12/02/03 18:47 +0900, Arthur Hoornweg wrote:
Star Office, now a.k.a. Openoffice, was developed using a
cross-platform C++ library called StarView (for Windows,
Macintosh etc). Star Software did cross-platform
development before we even invented that expression.
What happened to that product?
Both StarOffice and StarView were from a company called
StarDivision GmbH, out of Germany. The company for which I work
used the StarView libraries extensively in a few x-platform
(Windows and UNIX) apps. In fact, even after the UNIX fork was
dropped in our apps, we continue to use the StarView strings in
what otherwise is now an MFC app.
To the best of my knowledge, StarDivision sold StarOffice to Sun
during its dying gasps and went out of business shortly
afterward. Their web site used to be
<www.stardivision.de/>, but I see that the domain has been
snatched up by a registrar/squatter.
I can say for certain that I do not miss the StarView Design
Editor one bit. ;^)
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan
// mp3.com/trane_francks/

Re:Cross-platform: What happened to StarView?

Trane Francks < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
To the best of my knowledge, StarDivision sold StarOffice to Sun
during its dying gasps and went out of business shortly
afterward. Their web site used to be
<www.stardivision.de/>, but I see that the domain has been
snatched up by a registrar/squatter.
There's always the Wayback Machine...
web.archive.org/web/*/www.stardivision.de

{smallsort}

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM :

>To the best of my knowledge, StarDivision sold StarOffice to Sun
>during its dying gasps and went out of business shortly
>afterward. Their web site used to be
><www.stardivision.de/>, but I see that the domain has been
>snatched up by a registrar/squatter.

There's always the Wayback Machine...

web.archive.org/web/*/www.stardivision.de
Yes, indeed, and this is the link that seems to spell the end:
web.archive.org/web/20001213172400/http://stardivision.de/
I must be getting old. It seems like yesterday that I downloaded
a Linux version of StarOffice from their site.