Future of Kylix?

2004-06-03 07:46:41 AM
kylix1
Hello,
I bought Kylix 3 Professional a very long time ago ( when it was available
for pre-order). I haven't heard news of a Kylix 4 which worries me. Can
anyone point me to any news related to Kylix's future?
Also, I'd like to hear from any of you that decided to distribute a Kylix
application. What was your experience? Any trouble with distribution and
installation? Did you decide to standardize on any particular Linux distros
and if so, which and what versions? Please specify whether it was a Delphi
or C++ Kylix app.
Thanks.
Robert

Re:Future of Kylix?

Robert Oschler schrieb:
Hello,

I bought Kylix 3 Professional a very long time ago ( when it was available
for pre-order). I haven't heard news of a Kylix 4 which worries me. Can
anyone point me to any news related to Kylix's future?
We all would like to know (or is it just me?).
There is an annoucement of an annoucement regarding the long term strategy.
But honestly, I guess I'm the only one left in this ng. In the
cppbuilder ng, they're at least talking about some possible future.
Silence here. So don't expect anything.
Also, I'd like to hear from any of you that decided to distribute a Kylix
application. What was your experience? Any trouble with distribution and
installation? Did you decide to standardize on any particular Linux distros
and if so, which and what versions? Please specify whether it was a Delphi
or C++ Kylix app.

I think this is not so much of a problem. Include the required libs and
it should work. There are also some installers.

Re:Future of Kylix?

"theo" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>Hello,

We all would like to know (or is it just me?).
There is an annoucement of an annoucement regarding the long term
strategy.
But honestly, I guess I'm the only one left in this ng. In the
cppbuilder ng, they're at least talking about some possible future.
Silence here. So don't expect anything.

I think this is not so much of a problem. Include the required libs and
it should work. There are also some installers.

Theo,
Sorry to hear that. I still am quite fluent with C++, but after several
years of Object Pascal it would take a lot for me to go back.
Thanks
--
Robert

{smallsort}

Re:Future of Kylix?

Robert Oschler wrote:
[..]
Can anyone point me to any news related to Kylix's
future?
Ray Lischner said it best: "Kylix is dead".
www.tempest-sw.com/
Despite all claims to the contrary, many of which play like the famous
Monte Python skit about the "dead" parrot, Kylix is for all **intents** and
purposes deader than a doornail. Forget it and move on. If you feel really
{*word*37}ic, then you can heed Borland's advice and move to C++BuilderX, but
I wouldn't.
Also, I'd like to hear from any of you that decided to distribute a
Kylix application. What was your experience? Any trouble with
distribution and installation? Did you decide to standardize on any
particular Linux distros and if so, which and what versions? Please
specify whether it was a Delphi or C++ Kylix app.
You might be interested in seeing Rick Ross' tutorial on distributing Kylix
apps
www.rick-ross.com/papers/k3/k3deploy.html

Re:Future of Kylix?

theo wrote:
But honestly, I guess I'm the only one left in this ng. In
the
cppbuilder ng, they're at least talking about some possible future.
Silence here. So don't expect anything.
Yup, it's dead quiet 'round here and that deafening silencing more than
anything else speaks volumes about the liklihood of Kylix's survival.

Re:Future of Kylix?

Hi Robert,
I bought Kylix 3 Professional a very long time ago ( when it was available
for pre-order). I haven't heard news of a Kylix 4 which worries me. Can
anyone point me to any news related to Kylix's future?
Danny Thorpe has said it's on the 3 year roadmap (without being able to
comment more).
Also, I'd like to hear from any of you that decided to distribute a Kylix
application. What was your experience?
Some minor issues to find out how to deploy all the required libraries.
But I'm still using Kylix 3 (Delphi as well as C++). I'm mainly using
Red Hat, by the way.
See www.drbob42.com/Kylix for more of my Kylix stuff
Robert
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) Borland Technology Partner
Delphi Win32 & .NET training en support - IntraWeb Authorized Trainer

Re:Future of Kylix?

Borland seems to see that some problems with Kylix are not easily
solvable.
- Deployment is a huge problem due ti library dependencies
- A major advantage of Kylix would be tie possibility to port Windows
applications an maintain a common code base. But The CLX has no future
in Windows and it's not easy enough to port a VCL application it a CLX
application
- the Linux developers are not used to pay a huge (or decent) price for
a development tool
- the C++ version (which is more attractive to {*word*60}ive Linux
developers) seems to be too buggy to use
So I suppose on the long run they will go another path towards platform
independent development tools: .NET. (Se Delphi 8) In the future, a .NET
framework might (hopefully) be available in a compatible way (Supporting
everything a well behaving Delphi .NET assembly needs) on many platforms
(Windows, Linux on several hardware platforms, MAC OSX, IBM Mainframe,
PAlmtop, ...)
OTOH there is the Lazarus project. They provide free a open source
Delphi clone that runs on Windows and Linux in a fully compatible way.
This software is not really ready to use right now, but looks very
promising. (Maybe they are faster than Borland <g>.)
-Michael

Re:Future of Kylix?

"Robert Oschler" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
I bought Kylix 3 Professional a very long time ago ( when it was available
for pre-order). I haven't heard news of a Kylix 4 which worries me. Can
anyone point me to any news related to Kylix's future?
To paraphrase Pink Floyd's Sheep:
Havent you heard the news? The dog is dead!

Re:Future of Kylix?

Until Borland says Kylix is dead, which they hadn't, I will continue to
use Kylix. Since I am mainly a Delphi language programmer, and I really
like GNU/Linux and believe strongly in 'Linux's' business tool
potential, Kylix makes a lot of sense to me!
I am currently working on some components in my spare time which I plan
to publish hopefully soon (MPL most likely).
siegfried niedinger

Re:Future of Kylix?

"Robert Oschler" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
Hello,

Also, I'd like to hear from any of you that decided to distribute a Kylix
application. What was your experience? Any trouble with distribution and
installation? Did you decide to standardize on any particular Linux distros
and if so, which and what versions? Please specify whether it was a Delphi
or C++ Kylix app.

Since Debian lovers, we provided facilities (runtime debian packages)
to easily deploy Kylix3 apps on debian systems. Look at
debian.erzensoft.com
Bye
Roberto

Re:Future of Kylix?

Bob Swart wrote:
Hi Robert,

>I bought Kylix 3 Professional a very long time ago ( when it was
>available for pre-order). I haven't heard news of a Kylix 4 which
>worries me. Can anyone point me to any news related to Kylix's
>future?

Danny Thorpe has said it's on the 3 year roadmap (without being able
to comment more).

I believe that statement was one of the major reasons why a delphi guru such
as Ray Lischner declared Kylix dead on his web site. Everyone can read
between the lines regarding Thorpe's comment as well as remember the almost
nonexistent "support" kylix as received from Borland since its inception.
i.e., few and insignificant patches.

Re:Future of Kylix?

Hi John,
>Danny Thorpe has said it's on the 3 year roadmap (without being able
>to comment more).

I believe that statement was one of the major reasons why a delphi guru
such as Ray Lischner declared Kylix dead on his web site.
Ray can do as he wishes, but I'm still using Kylix and expect some
support from Borland after 2004.
Everyone can read between the lines regarding Thorpe's comment
I'd put my money on Danny Thorpe any day. Time will tell...

Robert Oschler wrote:
I bought Kylix 3 Professional a very long time ago ( when it was available
for pre-order). I haven't heard news of a Kylix 4 which worries me. Can
anyone point me to any news related to Kylix's future?
The biggest problem with Kylix, is that it compiles to a binary platform
(32-bit Intel with specific library versions), but Linux is not a binary
platform. Linux is avaible in many flavors, not only with regards to CPUs
(Intel 32 bit, Intel Itanium, AMD64, Macintosh CPUs etc.), but also with
regards to having the basic libraries upgrade all the time. In order to
deliver applications for such a platform, you need a different solution
than what Kylix delivers.
My guess is, that they are watching the mono project a lot, and if they are
going to release anything for Linux in the future, it will be for mono as a
platform, because it's binary stable. Mono is the key to make a commercial
compiler product independent of the fast pace of the underlying Linux
platform.
But even if mono succeeds, and gives Kylix a possible future seen from a
technical perspective, they also need a big market to make Kylix survive. I
don't think that there is a market right now, but this could change in a
year or two - Linux is evolving extremely fast as a desktop OS right now.
There is one thing I would not expect, though: That code written for Kylix 3
makes sense on a future version, just like all my Delphi 7 code is stuck
with Delphi 7 and isn't portable to Delphi 8 at a lower cost than rewriting
everything from scratch.
Lars.
--
Dybdahl Engineering
dybdahl.dk/

Re:Future of Kylix?

Bob Swart wrote:
Hi John,

>>Danny Thorpe has said it's on the 3 year roadmap (without being able
>>to comment more).
>>
>I believe that statement was one of the major reasons why a delphi
>guru such as Ray Lischner declared Kylix dead on his web site.

Ray can do as he wishes, but I'm still using Kylix and expect some
support from Borland after 2004.
Why?? According to his blog tinyurl.com/2qk4n , he said it was on a
*THREE* year plan. That could be 2005, 2006, 2007. It's pretty vague as to
when or even if anything will be done.
>Everyone can read between the lines regarding Thorpe's comment

I'd put my money on Danny Thorpe any day. Time will tell...
On what specifically? There's not much substance to place any money on.
Plans are *only* plans, not commitments and as such they are subject to
change and abandonment. Nothing in Danny's comments gaurantee even the
short-term (3+ year) future of Kylix.

Re:Future of Kylix?

John T wrote:
Bob Swart wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>>>Danny Thorpe has said it's on the 3 year roadmap (without being
>>>able to comment more).
>>>
>>I believe that statement was one of the major reasons why a delphi
>>guru such as Ray Lischner declared Kylix dead on his web site.
>
>Ray can do as he wishes, but I'm still using Kylix and expect some
>support from Borland after 2004.

Why?? According to his blog tinyurl.com/2qk4n , he said it was
on a
*THREE* year plan. That could be 2005, 2006, 2007. It's pretty vague
as to when or even if anything will be done.
He did not say "three year plan", he said "three year outlook".
To me, they are 2 different things. The first is that they intend
to do something with it - but no promises, the second is that they
intend to look at it later to see whether they intend to do anything
with it. In other words, an outlook has less going for it than a plan.