Kylix IDE - Eclipse?

2005-05-23 10:01:04 PM
kylix2
Hi,
I do not know much about Eclipse, so I am just wondering..
Has anyone ever used the Eclipse IDE?
Would it be possible to register and use a Kylix forms designer module
in the Eclipse IDE? If so should this not be a quicker way to go to - if
Borland does not want to do this, to create a new 'Kylix IDE' as Eclipse
plug-in module? I guess registering the components could be tricky..
siegs

Re:Kylix IDE - Eclipse?

SiegfriedN wrote:
Would it be possible to register and use a Kylix forms designer module
in the Eclipse IDE?
Eclipse plugins are in Java (or have I missed something?). And the CLX is
in native code. I think it would be easier to either rewrite the CLX in
Java or write a complete new IDE.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Kylix IDE - Eclipse?

"SiegfriedN" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

I do not know much about Eclipse, so I am just wondering..

Has anyone ever used the Eclipse IDE?
Yes.
Would it be possible to register and use a Kylix forms designer module
in the Eclipse IDE? If so should this not be a quicker way to go to - if
Borland does not want to do this, to create a new 'Kylix IDE' as Eclipse
plug-in module? I guess registering the components could be tricky..

If you created a Delphi/Kylix language plugi, you could do this. That is
really what Eclipse is designed for.
Java is the most prevalent language supported in Eclipse, and the IDE itself
is written in Java using IBMs SWT (Standard Widget Toolkit), which is using
JNI (Java native Interface), to make calls to the underlying Windowing
widgets per the GUI OS layers (aka XWindows on Unix/Linux), Microsoft's GUI
Layers and APIs for Windows, GUI layer for Mac, etc.).
However, there is also C++ language plugins for Eclipse, as well as C#,
Cobol and Fortran. I have not used them (except the C++ portions). The C++
works pretty well, but is incomplete.
So yes, you could use Eclipse as the IDE for Pascal based languages and
Designers. You would need the language extensions first, if you plan to
write the designer in Kylix. If it were me, I would write the designer in
Java and let it create the Delphi/Kylix code for you. I hope you have lots
of time :), or a large group of people willing to work on this.
Who knows, Borland may be working toward this end in the future. Seems
JBuilder itself is going to the Eclipse IDE. Borland could make their C++
and Delphi plugins for Eclipse as well, since it would mean one centralized
IDE for multi language and multi-platform support.

{smallsort}

Re:Kylix IDE - Eclipse?

Can somebody explain what could be the advantages of building a
Kylix-IDE with Eclipse vs. building it with Kylix itself?
I think all the "harder" parts must be implemented in one way or the
other anyway, like Form-Designer, Object Inspector, Parsers,
Code-Insight, Help-System etc.
How much of help would Eclipse be? Isn't it even harder to do this as an
Eclipse-plugin than building something from scratch using Synedit etc?
Just asking...

Re:Kylix IDE - Eclipse?

theo wrote:
Can somebody explain what could be the advantages of building a
Kylix-IDE with Eclipse vs. building it with Kylix itself?

I think all the "harder" parts must be implemented in one way or the
other anyway, like Form-Designer, Object Inspector, Parsers,
Code-Insight, Help-System etc.

How much of help would Eclipse be? Isn't it even harder to do this as an
Eclipse-plugin than building something from scratch using Synedit etc?

Just asking...

As pretty much an exclusive Apache SO builder with Kylix I'd love to
see an Eclipse IDE - I'd use SAMBA to access the files then write a
quick web service to do the compilation on a seperate machine - all of
this so that I could finally use my Mac for everything I do... or work
through one of my Solaris boxes to do the same... BTW - does anyone out
there have working examples of using the command line compiler for Kylix
projects?

Re:Kylix IDE - Eclipse?

BTW - does anyone out
there have working examples of using the command line compiler for Kylix
projects?
What do you mean?
You can get the options like this:
~/kylix3/bin/dcc --help
You can also find something in the online-help under Index ->"dcc" for
example.

Re:Kylix IDE - Eclipse?

theo wrote:
>BTW - does anyone out

>there have working examples of using the command line compiler for
>Kylix projects?

What do you mean?

You can get the options like this:
~/kylix3/bin/dcc --help

You can also find something in the online-help under Index ->"dcc" for
example.
Thanks - believe it or not, I never thought of the help! Should be
plenty there to get through it...

Re:Kylix IDE - Eclipse?

Paul Nichols (TeamB) wrote:

>Has anyone ever used the Eclipse IDE?

Yes.
silly question %) straight answer! - meant to ask if someone if familiar
with the Eclipse IDE.

>Would it be possible to register and use a Kylix forms designer module
>in the Eclipse IDE? If so should this not be a quicker way to go to - if
etc..
Thanks for the informative answer.
Judging from one of the questions in the recent Borland Marketing
questionair, it could be at least a guess that they are/were considering
the Eclipse plugin route. I personally would not mind - so long as they
maintain the code.
But as you said this looks like a large manpower exercise - most of us
have very limited time. I hope B have already started on it a few years
ago and are ready to make an announcement!
A short term hope for a new Kylix IDE imo would be to bring the current
Kylix IDE in line with the current winelib version. Even with a
CrossOffice license if may be.
Long term options could be:
1. Make CLX fully compatible with the VCL. Recompile the Delphi IDE with
Kylix using the updated CLX. - (Unless the current Delphi IDE relies too
heavily on Windows API and windows messages)
2. Create the Eclipse plugin as discussed.
3. Wait for Mono to mature (100% workable compatibility with MS.Net - if
ever) - compile the Galileo IDE to run on Mono. B would also need to
build CLX support into the Galileo IDE though..
4. The Lazarus IDE/LCL matures - is compatible with CLX - or can switch
to also use the Kylix compiler/CLX. But then by that time the FPC might
be capable to fully compile Kylix/Delphi code, so Kylix might not be
necessary.
just some thoughts..
siegs

Re:Kylix IDE - Eclipse?

On 2005-05-23, SiegfriedN < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I do not know much about Eclipse, so I am just wondering..

Has anyone ever used the Eclipse IDE?
I tried to, but was unable to figure it out. Worse, it is _slow_
Would it be possible to register and use a Kylix forms designer module
in the Eclipse IDE?
Oh maybe. Would it be acceptable to sb that is used to Kylix, Delphi? No.