Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

2003-08-09 06:26:04 AM
kylix2
On 08-Aug-03, Alessandro Federici - RemObjects Software said:
If they would give you one cent for every anti-Delphi post you made you'd be
a rich man by now <G>
Now that they've paid to store all those posts, they can't afford the cents! <g>
--
Bill
--------

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

Hilton Evans wrote:
Legal strategy?
or lack thereof.
--
.. Phoenix

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

Iman L Crawford wrote:
Name something innovative in the last 10 years
"buy now" at eBay. ;-)
--
.. Phoenix

{smallsort}

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Phoenix" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
"buy now" at eBay. ;-)
heh, that's up there with on click shopping.
--
Iman
"Tragedy is when I stub my toe.

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

Iman L Crawford wrote:
That had to do with look and feel. I don't think it had to do with
copyrights, but I may be remembering wrong.
Lotus was claiming copyright on the look and feel, IIRC.
--
.. Phoenix

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Phoenix" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
Lotus was claiming copyright on the look and feel, IIRC.
Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was copyright or trademark.
--
Iman
"If I had to live my life all over again," said Woody Allen, "I'd do it all

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was copyright or trademark.
The Borland/Lotus lawsuit just re-affirmed the position of copyright law
with regard to software and "innovation".
Copyright law only restricts blatant verbatim copying. Borland essentially
cloned the Lotus menu structure without copying any Lotus code. The court
ruled that copyright law did not forbid this sort of "innovation"<g>.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was copyright or trademark.

The Borland/Lotus lawsuit just re-affirmed the position of
copyright law
with regard to software and "innovation".

Copyright law only restricts blatant verbatim copying. Borland
essentially
cloned the Lotus menu structure without copying any Lotus code.
The court
ruled that copyright law did not forbid this sort of
"innovation"<g>.
Actually engineering around a copyright or patent restriction
*is* a form of innovation. For example, if you patent a
process
for making a complex drug molecule(say 13 synthetic steps) and I
develop a six step route using cheaper precursors, to the same
molecule, I have innovated.
--
Hilton Evans
ChemPen Chemical Structure Software

"Hilton Evans" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Actually engineering around a copyright or patent restriction
*is* a form of innovation.
It could be. It could also be simple cloning --- monkey see, monkey do. It
all depends on the circumstances.

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
"Hilton Evans" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Actually engineering around a copyright or patent
restriction
>*is* a form of innovation.

It could be.
It could also be simple cloning --- monkey see, monkey do.
Did you *read* what I wrote or are you arguing just to be
argumentative? I *said* engineer *around*. Cloning would
simply be following the exact same recipe in the patent.
--
Hilton Evans
ChemPen Chemical Structure Software
www.chempensoftware.com

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
"Hilton Evans" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Did you *read* what I wrote or are you arguing just to be
>argumentative? I *said* engineer *around*. Cloning would
>simply be following the exact same recipe in the patent.

You said "copyright or patent".

Engineering around a copyright can be easy, mimic what was done before,
just
don't copy any code. This is what Borland did in the Lotus case.
And writing different code is not cloning. A clone is an exact copy.
--

"Hilton" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
And writing different code is not cloning. A clone is an exact copy.
Maybe in biology. In the software business, people who make exact copies
are called "pirates"<g>.

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
"Hilton" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>And writing different code is not cloning. A clone is an exact copy.

Maybe in biology. In the software business, people who make exact copies
are called "pirates"<g>.
And on that we agree. :-)