Obtain

2007-11-26 05:24:08 PM
kylix1
Please tell me where i could download the open version of kylix. i need to develop a app in linux and am an avid programmer in delphi. Please help me. I know its not supported anymore but i would like to download it. Any site addy will help great! Thank you
Werner

Re:Obtain

Werner wrote:
Please tell me where i could download the open version of kylix. i need to develop a app in linux and am an avid programmer in delphi. Please help me. I know its not supported anymore but i would like to download it. Any site addy will help great! Thank you
AFAIK, there is no open (and not even a free-as-beer) version of Kylix.
Moreover Kylix is not supported any more.
You should take a look at Lazarus (lazarus.freepascal.org).
-Michael

Re:Obtain

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:48:15 +0100
Michael Schnell < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Werner wrote:
>Please tell me where i could download the open version of kylix. i
>need to develop a app in linux and am an avid programmer in delphi.
>Please help me. I know its not supported anymore but i would like
>to download it. Any site addy will help great! Thank you

AFAIK, there is no open (and not even a free-as-beer) version of
Kylix.

It certainly appears that there *used* to be an open version. There's
a set of files on "The Tomes of Kylix - The Linux API" CD which pertain
to both an open version and a trial version, but it's Kylix V2 in both
cases, and activation keys are needed - which I suspect you have no
chance of getting.
Moreover Kylix is not supported any more.
Since they've ditched it, it would be nice if Borland/CodeGear would
allow free distribution (and, of course, unlimited registrations) of
Kylix. That way, people like the OP who want to try it out, and are
prepared to do the work needed to get Kylix to run under more recent
versions of Linux (or use an old distro) could do so.
You should take a look at Lazarus (lazarus.freepascal.org).

I agree that Lazarus is the best (only?) option available if you
want something resembling Kylix. I haven't used Lazarus too much
myself, but once you get used to the different units, FreePascal is
certainly an excellent replacement for Borland Pascal 7, and with a lot
of extras.
Brian.

Re:Obtain

I have obtained a copy of open kylix.
But im having problems installing it on SUSE 10. any help?

Re:Obtain

Werner wrote:
I have obtained a copy of open kylix.

WOW ! where did you get it from ?
But im having problems installing it on SUSE 10. any help?

Kylix never ran on newer Kernels (AFAIK due to the wine lib version used.)
AFAIK there once was a patch / instructions to run it on SUSE 9.
Anyway I don't think anyone can get along with an old Kylix version,
even if Borland would decide do give it away for free. They would need
to publish the sources so that the community could adopt it to the
latest Kernel.
-Michael

Re:Obtain

Michael,
Kylix never ran on newer Kernels...
Kylix DOES run on the new kernels, but it takes a bit of work to get it
going. Theo has a good set of instructions at:
www.theo.ch/kylix/suse10.html
I needed to make some small changes (to ptrace etc.), but that got
Kylix 3 Ent. running on recent distros. And running well ! And FAST!
Remember also: if you don't want to go through that "trouble," you can
always keep your old distro, or install Kylix onto an old distro and
just do your development there. The programs will run just fine on
later kernels... And you automatically reap the benefits of the later
kernels, such as NPTL threads.

Re:Obtain

Werner wrote:
I have obtained a copy of open kylix.

But im having problems installing it on SUSE 10. any help?
Take a look at: www.theo.ch/kylix/suse10.html
The biggest issues (with the de{*word*81}) are taken care of by Paulo
Marques's brilliant ptrace_interposer.so
Good Luck! I'm glad to see more and more Kylix users showing up again!

Re:Obtain

Where did you get the copy from?
I am also having half done project...and needs revival...i have been
looking but, no possibility.
if you can help me with open kylix, it would be of great help.
regards
kornels

Brian wrote:

>You should take a look at Lazarus (lazarus.freepascal.org).

I agree that Lazarus is the best (only?) option available if you
want something resembling Kylix. I haven't used Lazarus too much
myself, but once you get used to the different units, FreePascal is
certainly an excellent replacement for Borland Pascal 7, and with a lot
of extras.

There is MSEide+MSEgui:
sourceforge.net/projects/mseide-msegui
Martin