Re: Kylix3 v Delphi Pro problems

2003-07-25 05:41:44 AM
kylix1
grinch wrote:
TEdit:
Will Kylix ever get a PasswordChar property?
That's a question that only Borland can answert. But TEdit is based on Qt's
QEdit and this has only the EchoMode property.
Forms.dcu
Doesnt exist for Kylix3 ... that sort of nails 'cross-platform' dead
really unless there's some file somewhere I didnt read that deals with
this(?)
VCL is not VisualCLX. A project that should compile on both platforms must
be developed with the VisualCLX (File / New / CLX Application). If you port
a VCL app to Linux you have to port the app to VisualCLX.
Isnt the point of Kylix to be able to load Delphi(Win32) code and compile
it for Linux systems, or did I get that aspect wrong?
This is only true for VisualCLX application but not for VCL applications.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: Kylix3 v Delphi Pro problems

grinch wrote:
Isnt the point of Kylix to be able to load Delphi(Win32) code and compile
it for Linux systems, or did I get that aspect wrong? I assume this
Borland maintains that you need to write the application using CLX on Windows
and Linux.
you don't.
you can _EASILY_ use VCL on Windows, and CLX on Linux - they are sufficiently
similar. however, they are not identical, so some work and understanding on your
part is required.
for a good summary on how to use the one source (.pas and .dfm) for real
cross-platform capability, check out:
chemware.hypermart.net/cross-platform.htm
for a real example, get the TPLot 2.42 source (3.00 still has a few issues), and
look at how it can be done.
cheers,
Mat
rm -rf /mnt/windows/