Kylix is dead..long live Kylix! :)

2003-11-11 10:16:20 PM
kylix1
Disclaimer: 'pure fantacy..' <g>
I believe Kylix we currently know is dead i.e. the Winelib IDE version
I think the future Kylix IDE would be JAVA based the same as C++Builder X
and JBuilder X.. 'Kylix/Delphi X'?
So Borland would only have a common .Net IDE and a JAVA IDE to maintain.
The new Kylix would probably be released at the end of 2005/2006 ? Will
support wxWindows, CLX, maybe even Win32
(some mishmash of VCL ports) Kylix would inherit all the current integrated
development modules like JBuilder currently has..
Would be nice.. especially if Borland releases a patch for Kylix 3 as well!
All native compilation where appropriate..
I can only dream..
siegfried niedinger

Re:Kylix is dead..long live Kylix! :)

"SiegfriedN" <sdfsdf@sdfsdf>wrote in message
I believe Kylix we currently know is dead i.e. the Winelib IDE version
I think you're right.
I think the future Kylix IDE would be JAVA based the same as C++Builder X
and JBuilder X.. 'Kylix/Delphi X'?
So Borland would only have a common .Net IDE and a JAVA IDE to maintain.
You may be right. On the other hand, Builder X may be the only Kylix
replacement that we ever see.
I think Borland learned the hard way that there just isn't much market for
native Linux tools. Yes, everyone knows about the support issue but support
is a two way street. If the uptake of Kylix had been better, support would
have undoubtedly followed suit.
In any case, Kylix is a working demonstration of current marketplace
reality. Reject it at your own risk.

Re:Kylix is dead..long live Kylix! :)

Bob Trautman wrote:
Why is Trolltech's product on Linux so popular?
because it can be used under the GPL for free.
Maybe in part their Windows
version helps support the Linux version.
Unlikely.
Martin

{smallsort}

Re:Kylix is dead..long live Kylix! :)

Why is Trolltech's product on Linux so popular? Maybe in part their Windows
version helps support the Linux version. Also maybe Borland was just a few
years too early in bringing out Kylix. With the recent events (Suse/Novell,
IBM) etc. I think it is a bit early to write off Linux development
tools......
Maybe Borland wants to see how Kylix user base grows before investing
additional dollars into further development........

Bob Trautman wrote:
Why is Trolltech's product on Linux so popular? Maybe in part their
Windows
version helps support the Linux version. Also maybe Borland was just a
few
years too early in bringing out Kylix. With the recent events
(Suse/Novell,
IBM) etc. I think it is a bit early to write off Linux development
tools......

Maybe Borland wants to see how Kylix user base grows before investing
additional dollars into further development........
Highly unlikely. I think Borland sees the future for Java development, as it
truly is;--- C/C++ and Java.
Might not hurt to have a Python IDE however..

pNichols wrote:
Bob Trautman wrote:

>Why is Trolltech's product on Linux so popular? Maybe in part their
>Windows
>version helps support the Linux version. Also maybe Borland was just a
>few
>years too early in bringing out Kylix. With the recent events
>(Suse/Novell,
>IBM) etc. I think it is a bit early to write off Linux development
>tools......
>
>Maybe Borland wants to see how Kylix user base grows before investing
>additional dollars into further development........

Highly unlikely. I think Borland sees the future for LINUX development, as
it truly is;--- C/C++ and Java.

Might not hurt to have a Python IDE however..
OOPS, should have been for Linux Development!!

"Bob Trautman" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Why is Trolltech's product on Linux so popular?
Define "popular"?
The only measure of "popularity" that means anything to a commercial vendor
like Borland is sales. How many copies of QT has Trolltech sold?

news:3fb11a97$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Why is Trolltech's product on Linux so popular?

Define "popular"?
1. Widely liked or appreciated: a popular resort.
2. Liked by acquaintances; sought after for company: “Beware
of over-great pleasure in being popular or even beloved?
(Margaret Fuller).
3. Of, representing, or carried on by the people at large:
the popular vote.
4. Fit for, adapted to, or reflecting the taste of the people
at large: popular entertainment; popular science.
5. Accepted by or prevalent among the people in general: a
popular misunderstanding of the issue.
6. Suited to or within the means of ordinary people: popular
prices.
7. Originating among the people: popular legend.
The only measure of "popularity" that means anything to a commercial vendor
like Borland is sales. How many copies of QT has Trolltech sold?
Why don't you ask Trolltech? I'm sure they'll gladly hand you the
books.
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan
// mp3.com/trane_francks/

SiegfriedN schrieb:
I believe Kylix we currently know is dead i.e. the Winelib IDE version
i agree
I think the future Kylix IDE would be JAVA based the same as C++Builder X
and JBuilder X.. 'Kylix/Delphi X'?
So Borland would only have a common .Net IDE and a JAVA IDE to maintain.
hopefully NOT! The Java-IDE is (politely) slooooow, the
system-requirements are (even politely) amusing: A pure IDE without any
visual designer needs a half gig of ram? And at a machine with perhaps
1.5 GHz and 512 MB Ram like million machines at developer-desks is
nearly not usable if you have some other apps open? If i would write
such an application, at first my boss would laugh at me and then kick me
out of the office.
Specially in linux, an IDE with the abilities of CBX (in the actual
state) and the consumption of resources IS NOT COMPETITIVE even against
open source software. Look at kdevelop3 aka Gideon, or Anjuta.
For me, the whole CBuilderX in its current state, whether for Windows or
Linux, is not more than a preview how the next steps could be. But only
if this IDE will rewritten in a language that can be compiled and runs
without any virtual-machine-interpreter-stuff, which is consuming more
resources from my machine than the whole OS does AND gives me advantages
against the competitors like as example a really good implemented visual
designer.
regards, Jens

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:16:20 +0000, SiegfriedN wrote:
Disclaimer: 'pure fantacy..' <g>

I believe Kylix we currently know is dead i.e. the Winelib IDE version

I think the future Kylix IDE would be JAVA based the same as C++Builder X
and JBuilder X.. 'Kylix/Delphi X'?
So Borland would only have a common .Net IDE and a JAVA IDE to maintain.

I hope not. I have no problem with Java per se, but I gave it up for any
medium to large projects because it is unacceptably slow, even on a
massive programmers desktop.
I converted a fairly compact Delphi program to Java (by convert, I mean
that I totally rewrote it in Java to look exactly like the old version to
my users.) Didn't even bother to put it out for test since I knew that
they would dump it in five minutes. It was like running Windows 95 on a
16meg machine - multi minute load times and multi second button click
times.
Badddd
Helen (but not of Troy)

Re:Kylix is dead..long live Kylix! :)

If I am contemplating spending a sizeable sum for a developement IDE, I
expect it to be support current operating systems that it is designed for
and to be supported.
One measure of success that could be used is how quickly a vendor
incorperates new features from feedback it receives as well as providing
releases that operate on current versions of operating systems. In this
regards I think I have to admit QT does qualify.
Again, I will not purchase a product that is not being maintained by the
Company. Buying product to "pray" that the product will eventually be
supported in terms of upgrades and current operating systems is kinda like
dealing with a used car salesmen!

JQP wrote:
"Bob Trautman" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:3fb11a97$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Why is Trolltech's product on Linux so popular?

Define "popular"?

The only measure of "popularity" that means anything to a commercial
vendor like Borland is sales. How many copies of QT has Trolltech sold?
I would think you would need to ask Trolltech.
BTW, how many copies of Delphi has Borland sold?