Re: Kylix 3 applications on new linux distros

2005-12-31 09:18:52 PM
kylix2
Micha Nelissen wrote:
Linux, the kernel, is actually very good at keeping backwards
compatibility
And why does Borland's de{*word*81} hang starting with Kernel 2.6.11 ? Do you
call this backward compatibility?
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: Kylix 3 applications on new linux distros

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Micha Nelissen wrote:

>Linux, the kernel, is actually very good at keeping backwards
>compatibility

And why does Borland's de{*word*81} hang starting with Kernel 2.6.11 ? Do you
call this backward compatibility?

It could be useful if someone at Borland could debug this in the Kylix
compiler (where it hangs) and inform the kernel developers where they
broke the backwards compatibility in this case. The kernel developers
did try to solve this, but they are not sure what exactly in the new
kernel caused the breakage.. If this can be identified then they could
fix the kernel..
Siegs

On 2005-12-31, Andreas Hausladen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Micha Nelissen wrote:

>Linux, the kernel, is actually very good at keeping backwards
>compatibility

And why does Borland's de{*word*81} hang starting with Kernel 2.6.11 ? Do you
call this backward compatibility?
Do you know for sure if Borland stuck to the "official" API's with
everything? It's hard to place such anecdontal evidence without having an
analysis of exactly what is wrong.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Kylix 3 applications on new linux distros

Andreas Hausladen schrubte am Samstag 31 Dezember 2005 14:18:
Micha Nelissen wrote:

>Linux, the kernel, is actually very good at keeping backwards
>compatibility

And why does Borland's de{*word*81} hang starting with Kernel 2.6.11 ? Do you
call this backward compatibility?
Cause Linux (and its kernel) is backwards compatible for linux application.
And this title (Linux Apllication) is for sure not a proper title for
kylix. The way kylix is implemented seems to be more a crook for an old
wine-wrapper than a linux application.
regards, Jens
--
Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
Mailkontakt gewŁnscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jens<punkt>nixdorf

Re:Re: Kylix 3 applications on new linux distros

Jens Nixdorf < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
Cause Linux (and its kernel) is backwards compatible for linux
application. And this title (Linux Apllication) is for sure not a
proper title for kylix. The way kylix is implemented seems to be more
a crook for an old wine-wrapper than a linux application.

regards, Jens
I do not think that this statement is correct for the deb{*word*81} although it
is correct for the IDE which supprisignly it doesn't have any problems.
Regards
Yannis.

Yannis wrote:
I do not think that this statement is correct for the deb{*word*81} although it
is correct for the IDE which supprisignly it doesn't have any problems.
I am sure that if Borland cared about this issue it would have been
resolved by the kernel developers. There is no official complaint of any
broken backwards compatibility by Borland as far as we know. It is up to
Borland to inform the kernel developers that they broke something.. IMO.
Does Borland even know about this issue? As I said before a kernel
developer has tried to fix this, but he was only making his best guess
as to what the problem is. It would be useful to give the kernel
deveolopers more info as to why the de{*word*81} does not work. Only Borland
can realistically debug this! It is about time for a new Kylix version
anyways to bring the language up to date with the latest Delphi version.
siegs

Re:Re: Kylix 3 applications on new linux distros

Yannis schrubte am Mittwoch 04 Januar 2006 08:39:
I do not think that this statement is correct for the deb{*word*81} although
it is correct for the IDE which supprisignly it doesn't have any problems.
Oh yes, it is. And it is more a miracle than a programmers success that the
IDE is running even at newer distributions. The whole kylix, not only the
de{*word*81}, is more or less a windows application running in a special
wine-environment.
And again: it is pure luck that it is running (and it does only with more or
less work from third persons like Andreas). If it would stop running from
now on, no one at borland would take care about it. Maybe they even wouldnt
raise their shoulders.
regards, Jens
PS: same as the last two sentences above you can take for C-builder X, its
also a still birth by Borland.
--
Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
Mailkontakt gewŁnscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jens<punkt>nixdorf
austauschen. Danke.

Re:Re: Kylix 3 applications on new linux distros

Sorry Siegfried, but Borland abandoned Kylix.
If you went to Borland site, Kylix is located on "Classic" Products near
Turbo Assembler... It's well written on the web page: "Please note that
Borland offers no further enhancements or support for these products".
Yannis, if you want to invest on Pascal on Linux, try Lazarus and Free
Pascal: they don't have yet the Delphi/Kylix speed and productivity but
the community is growing and the IDE is getting better every week.
Good Luck,
Josir.

Josir Gomes wrote:
Sorry Siegfried, but Borland abandoned Kylix.

you are right, my point was just that it was not fair to blame the
kernel developers for the fact that the be{*word*81} does not work any
longer. It is up to Borland to resolve this, but they don't care :(
Siegs

Josir Gomes wrote:
Yannis, if you want to invest on Pascal on Linux, try Lazarus and Free
Pascal: they don't have yet the Delphi/Kylix speed and productivity but
the community is growing and the IDE is getting better every week.
Or Free Pascal and MSEgui+MSEide:
mypage.bluewin.ch/msegui/
Martin

Re:Re: Kylix 3 applications on new linux distros

Cause Linux (and its kernel) is backwards compatible for linux application.
And this title (Linux Apllication) is for sure not a proper title for
kylix. The way kylix is implemented seems to be more a crook for an old
wine-wrapper than a linux application.
A _de{*word*81} never is a normal application. It needs to use non-standard
API calls to gain control over the program in question. So I think you
can't expect a priori binary backward compatibility here.
-Michael

Re:Re: Kylix 3 applications on new linux distros

Michael Schnell schrubte am Donnerstag 05 Januar 2006 21:25:
A _de{*word*81} never is a normal application. It needs to use non-standard
API calls to gain control over the program in question. So I think you
can't expect a priori binary backward compatibility here.
Hi,
it seems that there are some misunderstandings, maybe aproduct of my dirty
english ;)
I didnt expect any backwards compatibility from Kylix (or its de{*word*81}),
what i want is to get people to know that:
1. Kylix (and also the de{*word*81}) is not and never was a proper
linux-application and it is pure luck if it is running at distros newer
than suse 7.3
2. Borland cares exactly nothing about kylix-customers
regards, Jens
--

siegfriedn wrote:
you are right, my point was just that it was not fair to blame the
kernel developers for the fact that the be{*word*81} does not work any
longer. It is up to Borland to resolve this, but they don't care :(
The Delphi 1.0 de{*word*81} (10 years old) still works under Windows XP.
Because Microsoft cares...
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"

Re:Re: Kylix 3 applications on new linux distros

Arthur Hoornweg schrubte am Sonntag 08 Januar 2006 23:02:
The Delphi 1.0 de{*word*81} (10 years old) still works under Windows XP.
Because Microsoft cares...
Muhaha! You are a dreamer, arent you?
regards, Jens
--

Arthur Hoornweg wrote:
siegfriedn wrote:

>you are right, my point was just that it was not fair to blame the
>kernel developers for the fact that the be{*word*81} does not work any
>longer. It is up to Borland to resolve this, but they don't care :(

The Delphi 1.0 de{*word*81} (10 years old) still works under Windows XP.
Because Microsoft cares...

Serendipitous. MS doesn't care if a 10 year old app doesn't work. The
landscape is littered with apps that SP2 broke.