Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

2003-08-09 01:13:23 AM
kylix2
Hilton Evans wrote:
Fresh donuts or pizza will never be outsourced to India.
I knew there were better opportunities than be a Delphi programmer. <g>
Rosimildo.

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
You could say that about anything outside sales and marketing.
I wouldn't say *anything*. Some jobs are location based and not easily
exported. Nothing is as easily exported as IT.

"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hilton Evans wrote:
>The irony of the anti-intellectual property
>crowd cheering for the biggest Mo of IP
>is rich.

There is nothing wrong with concept of intellectual properties
Tell that to them ->"anti-intellectual property crowd "
of code from the kernel. But no, SCO doesn't want tell what's
wrong,
and letting the alleged infringement to continue. Why?
Legal strategy?
--
Hilton Evans
ChemPen Chemical Structure Software

{smallsort}

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Open source development is base and govern on concept of intellectual
property, specifically, the copyrights; Linux is intellectual
property of many different people who agreed to use one specific form
of licensing, the GPL.
I realize that debate is futile but what the GPL attempts to define is the
absence of IP. I suppose you could define the lack of property rights as a
property right but it is a somewhat distorted usage of the term.

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Look beyond software development --- it's rapidly becoming a "3rd world"
industry.
That's another problem as well.

"Rosimildo da Silva" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>Fresh donuts or pizza will never be outsourced to India.
I knew there were better opportunities than be a Delphi programmer. <g>
If they would give you one cent for every anti-Delphi post you made you'd be
a rich man by now <G>

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Alessandro Federici - RemObjects Software"
<alef@[nospam]remobjects.com>wrote in
What allowed us to have the florid software market we have now has
different sources.
IMO, the lack of patents and weaker copyrights helped the software market
flourish. Name something innovative in the last 10 years.
--
Iman
"If I had to live my life all over again," said Woody Allen, "I'd do it all

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
The Linux development is govern by
copyrights, the GPL is based on copyright laws, every single small
part of the Linux kernel is owned by somebody, the ownership is
defined by his copyright to the code.
Yes, the GPL uses copyright law --- to the extent necessary to legally strip
the original author and any derivative authors of the majority of their IP
rights.

Hilton Evans wrote:
>"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>There is nothing wrong with concept of intellectual properties
>
>Tell that to them ->"anti-intellectual property crowd "

And who exactly they may be, you are referring to ?
Odd you would write a 4 paragraph essay in response without
knowing.

A legal strategy?>If yes, then it is a very bizarre strategy,
indeed:
Are you a lawyer?
--
Hilton Evans
ChemPen Chemical Structure Software
www.chempensoftware.com

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
Yes they do. Things used to be copyrighted only when you registered it,
otherwise it was public domain.
In the past you were required to explicitedly state that the work was
copyrighted. Now it is *assumed* to be copyrighted unless explicitedly
stated otherwise. Registering has always been optional.
Now everything is copyrighted at creation
into perpetuity.
A copyright is valid until 70 years after the author's death,
Barring a change of attitudes in the legislative branch,
nothing will ever enter the public domain again.
Sure it will, if the author decides to place it there. Which is as it
should be don't you think?
In any case, how does this hinder innovation? A copyright only prevents
copies from being made without the author's permission. A copy is not very
innovative in my opinion; neither is a clone.

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Hilton Evans" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
The last time I saw there were plenty of research labs around
and
plenty lots of patents being filed. That's and indication of
innovation.
I've seen patents for using a laser pen to excercise a cat, using two
swings to swing left and right instead of back and forth. Most software
patents I've seen usually revolve around something already being done with
"over a network" tacked on the end.
Also, your ten year view of innovation is rather short term,
even for
I'll accept that. My point is, we had a huge growth in visible innovation
up till software patents.
labs. Finally, new uses of old technology are innovation.
I'd have to disagree, from dictionary.com
innovative
adj 1: ahead of the times; "the advanced teaching methods"; "had advanced
views on the subject"; "a forward-looking corporation"; "is British
industry innovative enough?" [syn: advanced, forward-looking, modern] 2:
being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created
before; "stylistically innovative works"; "innovative members of the
artistic community"; "a mind so innovational, so original" [syn:
innovational]
--
Iman
"Tragedy is when I stub my toe.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM :

I've seen patents for using a laser pen to excercise a cat, using
two
swings to swing left and right instead of back and forth.
Anecdotal evidence of a couple of silly patents is not evidence
that
that the vast majority of patents lack innovation.
Most software
patents I've seen usually revolve around something already being
done with
"over a network" tacked on the end.
Are we talking about hundreds; thousands?

I'll accept that. My point is, we had a huge growth in visible
innovation
up till software patents.
Can you site a reference?

>labs. Finally, new uses of old technology are innovation.

I'd have to disagree, from dictionary.com

innovative

adj 1: ahead of the times; "the advanced teaching methods"; "had
<SNIP>
Also from dictionary.com
innovation
1: a new device or *process* created by study and
experimentation [syn: invention]
2: the creation of something in the mind
and from Websters New Collegiate Dictionary
innovation
1. the introduction of something new
2. a new idea, *method* or device
If we preclude any new device that uses of gears, wheels, bearings,
motors or
software that uses loops, arrays or trees from being called
innovation then
almost nothing is innovation.
--
Hilton Evans
ChemPen Chemical Structure Software
www.chempensoftware.com

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
The value for people is not in *nix or Windows.
That's the way to go.. I only wonder what brings you here.. to the
non-tech Kylix group then... and makes you participate in such
colossal waste of time.. <g>
I have yet to participate to any of those threads in here ;-) (and no, I am
not going to <G>)

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
IMO, the lack of patents and weaker copyrights helped the software market
flourish. Name something innovative in the last 10 years.
Define "innovative" first ;-)

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
First, define innovative.
ROTFLMAO!!!
I haven't checked your reply before answering!
I asked the same question <G>