Re: Hate to say it, but Kylix isn't ready for prime time.

2003-08-11 03:43:33 PM
kylix2
I quite agree. I use Kylix C++ on RH7.2. What a pain...
"Hoover" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
On Windows, Delphi is solid as a rock - you just have to put up with the OS
crashing on a tight schedule.

With Linux, the OS is solid but Kylix3 Pro goes south with depressing
frequency. And usually takes all of Xwindows with it.

So my header statement is because of the following items.

1. Kylix is not finished. Crashes too often. Has many solid bugs,
including the libc.system calls not working properly.
2. Online support is nonexistant. The Borland Kylix FAQ has exactly ONE
item.
3. Deployment is a disaster. Even the Borland engineers disagree on
exactly what has to go with the executable.
4. On a 2ghz machine, the load time is long enough to get up and get your
coffee. (Delphi, on the other hand, loads in 5 seconds)

On the plus side.

I still like it.
Once your user program is written and debugged, and DEPLOYED, it is very solid.

I just wonder if Kylix is even on Borlands todo list anymore.

Hoover

Re:Re: Hate to say it, but Kylix isn't ready for prime time.

Hoover wrote:
[...]

I'm using Kylix C++ Open Edition on SuSE 8.1, and overall I have found it it
fine. Crashes are very rare (I can't actually recall whether it has ever
crashed). I have read about bugs, but there are none that affect what I do.
I like the fact that if you get precompiled headers working properly, it
compiles VERY fast.
From my point of view, the main drawback is the lack of a proper code
explorer. To get over this, I use KDevelop for exploring and editing, and
Kylix for compiling / Linking (and C++ Builder in a Win4Lin window
accessible from my KDE desktop to compile the Windows executable).
Chris Gordon-Smith
London
graffiti.{*word*269}.net/c.gordon-smith/

{smallsort}

Hoover wrote:
>On Windows, Delphi is solid as a rock - you just have to put up with the
>OS crashing on a tight schedule.
What os you using with Delphi? I'm sequentally upgraded OS on my PC from
Windows NT 4.0 ->Windows 2000 beta 3 ->Windows 2000 ->to Windows XP.
Never has reinstall because of OS crash.
>With Linux, the OS is solid but Kylix3 Pro goes south with depressing
>frequency. And usually takes all of Xwindows with it.
Who said that X-Windows is stable? IMHO, far less stable than Windows
USER/GDI.
>So my header statement is because of the following items.
>1. Kylix is not finished. Crashes too often. Has many solid bugs,
>including the libc.system calls not working properly.
Agreed.
>2. Online support is nonexistant. The Borland Kylix FAQ has exactly ONE
>item.
:-) Look on Quality Central. Many bugs from K1 still not fixed.
>3. Deployment is a disaster. Even the Borland engineers disagree on
>exactly what has to go with the executable.
It is point of taste. After 1.5 years with Kylix i'm not feel so negative
about deployment process. Initially i has same feelings as you.
>4. On a 2ghz machine, the load time is long enough to get up and get your
>coffee. (Delphi, on the other hand, loads in 5 seconds)
It it Linux's problem, not Kylix's. Almost all large applications
(especially that use shared objects) are extremely slow to load on Linux.
Linux caching suxxx.
>On the plus side.
>I still like it.
>Once your user program is written and debugged, and DEPLOYED, it is very
>solid.
:-) Same as in Windows... of course if it is CORRECTLY written program.
>I just wonder if Kylix is even on Borlands todo list anymore.
It is on first place... from the end. :-(
Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:
I'm using Kylix C++ Open Edition on SuSE 8.1, and overall I have found it
it fine. Crashes are very rare (I can't actually recall whether it has
ever crashed). I have read about bugs, but there are none that affect
what I do.
Try to work with Oracle or do some Web-development. You should receive many
"surprises".